CaltechAUTHORS
  A Caltech Library Service

In situ photochemical crosslinking of HeLa cell mitochondrial DNA by a psoralen derivative reveals a protected region near the origin of replication

DeFrancesco, Laura and Attardi, Giuseppe (1981) In situ photochemical crosslinking of HeLa cell mitochondrial DNA by a psoralen derivative reveals a protected region near the origin of replication. Nucleic Acids Research, 9 (22). pp. 6017-6030. ISSN 0305-1048. http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechAUTHORS:DEFnar81

[img]
Preview
PDF
See Usage Policy.

1325Kb

Use this Persistent URL to link to this item: http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechAUTHORS:DEFnar81

Abstract

The in vivo association with proteins of HeLa cell mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) has been investigated by analyzing the pattern of in situ crosslinking of the DNA by 4'-hydroxymethyl-4, 5',8-trimethylpsoralen (HMTT Either isolated mitochondria or whole cells were irradiated with long wavelength UV light in the presence of the psoralen derivative, and the mtDNA was then isolated and analyzed in the electron microscope under totally denaturing conditions. No evidence of nucleosomal structure was found. The great majority of the molecules ({small tilde}90%percnt;) had a double-stranded DNA appearance over most of their contour length, with one to several bubbles occupying the rest of the contour, while the remaining 10% of the molecules appeared to be double-stranded over their entire length. Analysis of restriction fragments indicated the presence, in 80% of the molecules, of a protected segment (300 to 1500 bp long) in a region which was centered asymmetrically around the origin of replication so as to overlap extensively the D-loop. Control experiments showed that at most 30% of the bubbles found near the origin could represent D-loops or expanded D-loops; furthermore, it could be excluded that some sequence peculiarity would account for the preferential location of bubbles near the origin of replication. The data have been interpreted to indicate that, in at least 55% of HeLa cell mtDNA molecules, the region around the origin is protected from in situ psoralen crosslinking by proteins or protein complexes which are associated in vivo with the DNA.


Item Type:Article
Additional Information:Copyright © 1981 Oxford University Press. Received June 19, 1981. The authors wish to thank Dr. John Hearst for kindly providing the psoralen derivative (HMT) used in these studies, Dr. C.-K. J. Shen for valuable discussions, and Dr. D. Kaback for his help in the electron microscopic analysis. These investigations were supported by a research grant from the USPHS (GM-11726) and a Junior Fellowship of the American Cancer Society, California Division (to L.D.).
Record Number:CaltechAUTHORS:DEFnar81
Persistent URL:http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechAUTHORS:DEFnar81
Alternative URL:http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/9/22/6017
Usage Policy:No commercial reproduction, distribution, display or performance rights in this work are provided.
ID Code:4069
Collection:CaltechAUTHORS
Deposited By: Tony Diaz
Deposited On:26 Jul 2006
Last Modified:26 Dec 2012 08:57

Repository Staff Only: item control page