CaltechAUTHORS
  A Caltech Library Service

Nucleotide sequences of human globin messenger RNA

Marotta, Charles A. and Forget, Bernard G. and Weissman, Sherman M. and Verma, Inder M. and McCaffrey, Ronald P. and Baltimore, David (1974) Nucleotide sequences of human globin messenger RNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 71 (6). pp. 2300-2304. ISSN 0027-8424. http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechAUTHORS:MARpnas74

[img]
Preview
PDF
See Usage Policy.

1465Kb

Use this Persistent URL to link to this item: http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechAUTHORS:MARpnas74

Abstract

Globin messenger RNA, isolated from human peripheral blood reticulocytes, was transcribed into complementary DNA by use of the RNA-dependent DNA polymerase of avian myeloblastosis virus. The complementary DNA was then transcribed into 32P-labeled complementary RNA by E. coli RNA polymerase in the presence of α-32P-labeled ribonucleoside triphosphates. The fingerprint pattern obtained from ribonuclease T1 digests of human globin complementary RNA was specific and reproducible. Different patterns were obtained from digests of duck, mouse, and rabbit globin complementary RNA. The fingerprint patterns obtained from digests of purified natural human 10S globin messenger RNA, labeled in vitro with 125I or with [γ-32P]ATP and polynucleotide kinase, were similar to that of the complementary RNA but contained some additional oligonucleotides. Sufficient nucleotide sequence information has been obtained from about 50% of the intermediate sized oligonucleotides (8-14 base residues long), to make possible examination of correspondence between these nucleotide sequences and globin amino-acid sequences. Approximately 70% of these oligonucleotide sequences can be matched to unique amino-acid sequences in the α- or ß -globin chains. The other 30% do not match known amino-acid sequences and presumably correspond to untranslated portions of the mRNA; some of these sequences, however, can be matched to amino-acid sequences in the abnormally long segment of the chain of hemoglobin Constant Spring, which is thought to result from a chain-termination mutation.


Item Type:Article
Additional Information:© 1974 by the National Academy of Sciences. Communicated by Alexander Rich, March 18, 1974. We thank Dr. D. G. Nathan for helpful discussions; Miss D. Paci for skilled technical assistance, and Dr. P. Lebowitz for the gift of B. coli RNA polymerase. B.G.F. is the recipient of a Research Career Development Award AM-70234 of the U.S. Public Health Service. I.M.V. was fellow of the Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research. D.B. is American Cancer Society Research Professor. This work was supported in part by the following grants of the National Institutes of Health: CA-13472, AM-15929, AM-05581, CA-14051, AM-15035, and a contract from the Virus Cancer Program.
Subject Keywords:RNA-dependent DNA polymerase; RNA polymerase; polynucleotide kinase; thalassemia; hemoglobin Constant Spring
Record Number:CaltechAUTHORS:MARpnas74
Persistent URL:http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechAUTHORS:MARpnas74
Alternative URL:http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.71.6.2300
Usage Policy:No commercial reproduction, distribution, display or performance rights in this work are provided.
ID Code:9208
Collection:CaltechAUTHORS
Deposited By: Tony Diaz
Deposited On:27 Nov 2007
Last Modified:26 Dec 2012 09:46

Repository Staff Only: item control page