CaltechAUTHORS Repository Policies
Metadata Policy for information describing items in the repository
- Anyone may access the metadata free of charge.
- The metadata may be re-used in any medium without prior permission for not-for-profit purposes only provided:
- a link to the original metadata record is given, and
- CaltechAUTHORS is mentioned.
- The metadata must not be re-used or re-sold in any medium for commercial purposes without formal prior permission.
Data Policy for full-text and other full data items
- Anyone may access full items free of charge.
- Full items must not be harvested by robots except transiently for full-text indexing or citation analysis.
- No commercial reproduction, distribution, display or performance rights in full items are provided.
- Full items must not be sold commercially in any format or medium without formal permission of the copyright holders.
- Full items must not be stored in any format or medium for commercial purposes.
Content Policy for types of documents & data sets held
- This is an institutional repository.
- CaltechAUTHORS holds all types of materials.
- Deposited items may include:
- working drafts
- submitted versions (as sent to journals for peer-review)
- accepted versions (author's final peer-reviewed drafts)
- published versions (publisher-created files)
- Items are individually tagged with:
- their version type and date.
- their peer-review status.
- their publication status.
- Principal Languages: English
Submission Policy concerning depositors, quality and copyright
- Items may only be deposited by accredited members of the institution, or their delegated agents.
- The administrator reviews items for the eligibility of authors/depositors, relevance to the scope of CaltechAUTHORS, accuracy of the metadata, and the exclusion of spam.
- The validity and authenticity of the content of full items is not checked.
- Items can be deposited at any time but will not be made publicly visible until any publishers' or funders' embargo period has expired.
- If CaltechAUTHORS receives proof of copyright violation, the relevant item will be removed.
- Items will be retained indefinitely.
- CaltechAUTHORS will try to ensure continued readability and accessibility.
- Items will be migrated to new file formats where necessary.
- It may not be possible to guarantee the readability of some unusual file formats.
- CaltechAUTHORS regularly backs up its files according to current best practice.
- The original bit stream is retained for all items, in addition to any upgraded formats.
- Items may not normally be removed from CaltechAUTHORS.
- Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:
- Proven copyright violation or plagiarism
- Legal requirements and proven violations
- National Security
- Falsified research
- Withdrawn items are not deleted per se but are removed from public view.
- Withdrawn items' identifiers/URLs are retained indefinitely.
- The metadata of withdrawn items will not be searchable.
- Errata and corrigenda lists may be included with the original record if required.
- If necessary, an updated version may be deposited.
- The earlier version may be withdrawn from public view.
- The item's persistent URL will always link to the latest version.
- There will be links between earlier and later versions, with the most recent version clearly identified.
- Items are allocated a checksum to facilitate the detection of alterations.
- In the event of CaltechAUTHORS being shut down, the database will be transferred to another appropriate archive.